Petition for Dissolution of a Covenant Marriage With Children

What is a Petition for Dissolution of a Covenant Marriage With Children?



Sample of Petition for Dissolution of Covenant Marriage with Children document created with Access Legal

Filed with the other documents required by the State of Arizona, this Petition will initiate a Dissolution of a Covenant Marriage With Minor Children, better known as divorce proceedings.

What You Need to Know

Qualifications for filing in Arizona family court: You and/or your spouse must have lived in Arizona for at least the past 90 days, and any minor child involved must have lived in Arizona for at least the past 6 months.

The person who files is called the Petitioner, and will always be referred to as such, even in future actions such as modification and enforcement. As a result, the other person is called the Respondent. As a Respondent in Maricopa County, you have 20 days to file a response the Petitioner or the Petitioner can apply for default judgement.

Prepare Yourself for the Paperwork

You should have the following information on hand in order to file the Petition:

  • Address
  • Job Title
  • Date of covenant marriage
  • Information regarding your minor children

Do You Qualify for a Dissolution of Covenant Marriage?

If you entered into a covenant marriage, you received a specific marriage license after undergoing marriage counseling and making certain additional promises regarding your marriage. Specific grounds must be alleged in order to “dissolve” a covenant marriage, or become divorced. Grounds include that one or both spouse(s):

  • Committed adultery
  • Abused drugs or alcohol, to such an extent that the marriage became intolerable
  • Assaulted the petitioner, any children, or other family members
  • Abandoned the other spouse for  one year and refused to return
  • One party was sentenced to death or imprisoned for a major felony
  • Couple was granted a legal separation and have been separated for one year
  • Agreed to a divorce

Getting Started

Representing yourself in a family court case doesn’t mean you have to handle it all alone. Access Legal is your #1 resource. Sign up for free to see what legal documents you’ll need for your case. You don’t pay for anything until you’re ready to create a document.